City of Merced Home Page
Low Graphics VersionWed., Aug 27, 2014
About The City
Calendars
City Departments
City Services Online
Common Questions
Contact Us
Photographic Collage
Welcome to the City of Merced
Search
Homepage ... > Fire Safety / Public Education > Seasonal Safety > Holiday Safety Tips E-mail storyPrint friendly format
Like this post? share it...  Share on TwitterShare on MySpace
Holiday Safety Tips

The Merced City Fire Department would like to wish your family a safe and happy holiday season --Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanza, New Years--is a prime time for residential fires. The following holiday fire safety information is being offered to help ensure that your family will be safe.


CHRISTMAS TREES:
Click Here (1.94 MB Windows Media Viewer)
To watch a sobering video on how fast a Christmas tree fire can spread!

· Trees displayed in public buildings must be treated with an approved State Fire Marshal Flame Retardant Chemical.

· Unless your tree is a "choose and cut", re-cut the trunk at least 1 inch above the original cut.

· Place the tree in a container or stand that will hold enough hot tap water to cover the stem at least two inches. Add water as needed.

· Display the tree away from heat sources.

· Use a stand that will hold the tree securely and is not easily tipped over.

· Do not locate trees in front of exit doors, in exit ways, or corridors.


LIGHTS:

· Use only U.L. approved products.

· Check for old or worn insulations, cracked or broken sockets and loose connections. Discard if any of these conditions exit.

· If using lights outside, be sure they are labeled "for outside use". Never use indoor lights outside.

· Always unplug lights when leaving the house, retiring for the night, or when otherwise not in use.

· Never put lights on metallic trees.

· Never run extension cords under carpets, across walkways, under heaters, or pinched behind furniture.

· Do not overload outlets.

CANDLES:

· Keep candles away from tree and other flammable decorations.

· Place in sturdy, non-flammable holders or non-tip holders.

· Keep candles well away from curtains and other combustible articles.

· Never put candles in windows or near exits.

· Never leave candles burning unattended or within reach of children.

· Extinguish candles by wetting the wick before leaving the room or retiring for the night.


FIREPLACES:

· Have your chimney inspected and cleaned prior to burning season. Be sure it is equipped with a proper spark arrester.

· Keep screen or glass doors closed to confine embers and sparks.

· Never burn Christmas tree branches or gift wrapping in fireplace.

· Do not leave children unattended when fireplace is in use.

· Keep combustible decorations away from and around fireplaces.

· Do not break apart man-made logs.

· Make sure fire is safely contained before leaving the room or retiring for the night.

· Dispose of ashes in a metal container. Never put ashes in cardboard boxes, paper bags or plastic containers.

· Place metal container with discarded ashes at least six feet away from structures and combustibles.

· Discarded ashes will continue to smolder for days, up to three or more, so take note when placing on curb for garbage pickup.


SPACE HEATERS:

· Keep space heaters at least three feet away from furniture, bedding, clothing, walls and other combustibles.

· Use only U.L. approved space heaters approved for indoor use.


PARTY SAFETY:

· Use flame retardant decorations.

· Provide smokers with large, deep, non-tip ashtrays.

· Empty ashtrays often--wet their contents before dumping them.

· Check cushions and furniture for smoldering cigarettes.

KITCHEN:

· Do not wear loose fitting clothing when cooking.

· Put a lid on the pot or pan to extinguish food or grease fires.

· Turn off heat and close oven door to extinguish a fire in the oven.

· Keep pot handles and electrical appliance cords out of the reach of small children.

PLAN AHEAD:

· Have two emergency escape routes out of each room.

· Have fire extinguisher handy, and know how to use it.

· Smoke detector(s) - install fresh batteries (if applicable) and test regularly.

· Carbon monoxide detector(s) - install fresh batteries and test regularly.

· All family members should know to call "911" in case of an emergency.

             
translation powered by
Google

Google Disclaimer City of Merced Disclaimers
Top 
Copyright © 2000 - 2014 City of Merced, CA
Web Mail
Powered byCivica Software